So it was in such a setting one morning that I decided to put on a pot of chili. Not just any chili...my mom's AWARD WINNING chili. I'm not sure what makes it so special but for me its the best chili out there and no matter how hard I try, I can never seem to get it just the way mom makes it. She was kind enough to allow me to share her recipe. So I hope the next time you decide to make some chili, you'll give this recipe a try.
This is a great recipe because its sooo easy and it's made in the slow cooker! If you haven't discovered the joy's of slow cooker cooking....then I suggest you do! There is nothing like coming home from a hard day at work and finding dinner....already made! Hot and ready to go!
Mom's Award Winning Chili
|These are the brands I like to use!|
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 pkg of McCormick Original Chili Seasoning
- 1 large can (46oz) of tomato juice (you won't use all of it)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) of petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can (14.5 oz) of chili beans
- 1 jar medium salsa
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 1-2 tbsp brown sugar
- cayenne pepper, salt to taste
- Brown the beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain fat.
- Place all the ingredients in a large slow cooker and stir well. Only add about half of the tomato juice. You can add more later if necessary...depending on how liquid-like or chunky you like your chili.
- Let the chili sit on low in the slower cooker over several hours.
- Serve with fresh cornbread or oyster crackers!