Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hooray for Hummingbirds!

If you don't already have a hummingbird feeder, I highly suggest you get one.  They are very low-maintenance and rewarding.  I have one right outside my kitchen window, and it brings me such joy to sit and look out the window and see hummingbirds all day!  I have a pair of ruby-throated hummingbirds that must have a nest nearby because I see them throughout the day.  They are constantly feeding!  I keep trying to catch pictures of them but as you can probably imagine it's next to impossible.  
I often see hummingbird nectar for sale in the store and for the life of me I cannot fathom why anyone would ever BUY hummingbird nectar.  It is extremely easy to make yourself at home.  Usually when you see it in the store it is tinted red to help attract the hummingbirds.  Well if you decide to make your own you can add red food coloring to it OR you can just buy a hummingbird feeder that is already red.  That way, you never have to worry about dying your homemade nectar.  The one you see above in the picture was less than $10.00 and I've had it for several years now.  So here is how you make hummingbird nectar:


Step One: measure out 1 parts sugar to 4 parts water.  In this case I did 1/2 cup sugar to 2 cups water

Step Two: place them both in a sauce pan and heat them together over medium-low heat.  Stir occassionally and heat just until all the sugar is dissolved.

Step Three: allow to cool, then fill the feeder!  

It's that easy!  Really!  See why I can't imagine anyone would want to buy nectar?  Make it yourself!  I guarantee you have the ingredients...  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment